Apartments and Suites
Fonterutoli is located 5 km south of Castellina in Chianti (Siena), on the hills facing the Val d'Elsa, in the heart of the Chianti Classico. Owned by the Mazzei family since 1435, it still retains its original form, that of a tranquil country village: a cluster of houses, the church of San Miniato and the villa, built at the end of the 1500s where the medieval castle once stood. On the main square next to the ancient church is the family villa, surrounded by the charming village apartments and suites managed as luxury b&b that can be rented individually or as a single unit.
Recently restored, May 2008, the b&b Fattoria is located in the real centre of Fonterutoli, with the entrance from the ancient Roman street. Furnished with particular attention to all details, the result is an estate intended for luxury, without loosing the atmosphere of a Chianti country house where guests breath a feeling of warm and pleasant welcome.
It has furnished in a varied way, with a distinct personality to give each guest a chance to express his or her preference. A large kitchen, a living room, a parlour, the three bedrooms with private baths and independent access invite guests to live the Chianti experience.
Large apartment with floors in ancient terra cotta, exposed ceiling beams and doors and windows in wood.
It has four bedrooms on either side of the large living room and the kitchen is well equipped.
Many windows overlook the main square of Fonterutoli and combine the view of Tuscan landscape with the countryside life.
Apartment nicely furnished that has a spacious living room with open space kitchen area, bedroom with an en-suite bathroom and a comfortable walk-in closet.
The guests will be able to dine underneath the shade of a pergola, located in a private yard where there is the entrance to the apartment.
The view from the large windows reveals secret corners concealed among the old buildings of the castle.
Apartment with a simple but functional and elegant furniture that creates an intimate, homey atmosphere.
The entrance is situated in a small courtyard lined with vines.
It has two bedrooms whose windows overlook the narrow village lanes and a large living room with fireplace, ideal when the weather gets cooler.
Glicine Grande is so called for the flourishing glycine plant that covers its entrance passage.
It's a typical example of Tuscan house focusing on a large kitchen dominated by a huge fireplace.
Terra cotta floors, ceilings with exposed beams and Tuscan "arte povera" furniture remind guests of past times.
There are three comfortable bedrooms furnished with "home" pieces, one of them featuring a small fireplace.
Already known by the Etruscans and subsequently in Roman times as "Fons Rutolae" and "Fons Rutilant", it was considered a stopping-off point where travellers between Florence and Siena could find refreshment.
It was here, in 998, that Ottone III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, issued an edict which transferred the Arezzo Church possessions to the Siena Committee. In 1202 and 1208, Fonterutoli was again the place of the peace treaties signing which determined historically the Chianti region assignment to the Republic of Florence.
With regard to this, there is a popular legend saying that in the first years of the thirteenth century, the lords of Florence and Siena, in Tuscany, exhausted by the endless wars over the Chianti region, agreed a horse race would define the "borders": at the cock crowing, two knights - one from Florence and the other from Siena - would start their race. The place of their meeting would set the border. The Florentines chose a little black rooster, skinny and starved, which crowed constantly out of hunger. The race morning, this rooster crowed long before dawn, thus the Florentine knight started his race with a great advantage. He covered far more distance before meeting his contender, almost on the outskirts of Siena, at Fonterutoli, to be exact.
Since then, the black rooster became emblem of Chianti and then of the wine produced in this area, famous throughout the world. It is also the symbol of the consortium which represents most producers.
The Castle of Fonterutoli is still owned by the Marquis Mazzei family, who settled since 1435. Its appearance has not changed during the centuries, preserving some buildings. Only the original Castle has been replaced by the villa at the end of the sixteenth century.
Fonterutoli is about 30/40 minutes by car from Siena, Florence, Volterra and San Gimignano:
Fonterutoli - Siena: 23 km
Fonterutoli - Firenze: 45 km
Fonterutoli - Volterra: 50 Km
Fonterutoli - San Gimignano: 42 km
Distance from Airports:
Pisa-Galileo Galilei: 102 km
Firenze-Peretola Sesto Fiorentino: 55 km
WHERE TO EAT
Osteria di Fonterutoli, directly in the village, offers dishes prepared following the recipes of Mazzei home.
TOURS AND TASTING
At the Enoteca di Fonterutoli you can make guided tours and taste the wines produced in the estates owned by the Mazzei family.